Monday, April 11, 2011

The Recovery

As the weeks have progressed the fear has abated...but in its place has been a frustration at not being able to do anything. I live in this wonderful country with an amazing host people and I have not been able to do anything. From the get go we were told to donate to the Red Cross. We did but that didnt feel like enough. A few weeks ago word came down that we would be allowed to purchase and donate items that the people in Sendai and the surrounding areas desperately needed. Izac and I were supposed to go on a trip but he had to do duty. I was at first mad but then decided that since I had the time I would go to the thrift store and see what I could do. I am so glad I did. I was able to do something. For 7 hour I helped receive, sort, box and label donations. I worked with some local Japanese women and made some new friends. I went originally to see what I could do for others but instead ended up feeling better. I ended up going back the next day and working another 5 hours. I am so glad that I was able to do something small for this wonderful country that I live in. The recovery is slow and will continue for a while. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were rebuilt after a tragedy and I know the Japanese will rebuild again. They have already rebuilt Sendai airport. The recovery will be long but it is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment