Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hiroshima: A Bomb Dome



This weekend Izac, myself and two other Marines (Reggie and Samuel) went to Hiroshima. We decided to go to see the A Bomb Dome. We took the train up again and then from the Hiroshima station we took the cable cars. Once we arrived at our stop we got off, walked a block to a MAJOR intersection. I couldn't find a cross walk. Reggie took us to what looked like a subway station. Turns out for this part of Hiroshima pedestrians cross UNDER the street. As we were crossing to the exit we needed Izac said "Welcome to the Underground". I laughed and looked at all the shops. It was kinda like a round about or a wheel. Shops in the center and the sides with spokes off the center directing you to where you needed to go. After gawking for a brief moment I had to walk-run after the guys (they are all 6-6'2 in height and therefore have longer strides), up some stairs (again the tall ones took the steps 2 at a time), and then we walked another block. We emerged from typical city tall buildings and noise to the edge of Peace Park. What we saw first was the A Bomb dome. I remember seeing this building when I was a kid but I also have memories of Amanda chasing after pigeons so this was a good experience. Izac took some wonderful pictures and SHOCK we have a picture of us together. As we finished with our visit to that portion of Piece park an older Japanese man started talking to us. I was not quite sure what was going on but he whipped out a badge that said Free tour guide and a notebook. Now mind you I am still a very suspicious person so I didn't quite want to hang around but none of us wanted to be rude. The guide spent the next 30 mins or so telling us the history of the atomic bomb. It is interesting to hear his interpretation of the events. It reminds you that "history" can be written in many different ways. After the short history lesson he asked us to follow him to the hypocenter. Now at that point I was like uhhh no way (in my head), and I guess it showed on my face because four more free guides came over and suggested that we go and that it would be ok. One said "Japan is the safest country in the world". I actually feel pretty safe here but I am also pretty suspicious of people. The guys seemed fine with it so I followed them (I figure they all have training and when I am cornered I get mean). The guide took us to an old looking cemetery. About 10 mins of trying to figure out what he was saying he told us to touch the stones. I didn't want to because I felt like this would be disrespectful but he wanted us to feel what the heat blast did to the granite. Apparently there are examples of this stone in the museum but you cannot actually touch it. It was interesting. The guide then took us another block to this tiny granite slab that had a plaque. He told us to read it then proceeded to talk again for 15 mins. What he and the plaque basically said was that 580 meters up was where the bomb exploded. He ended his tour showing us a tiny antenna that was on the bomb and telling us that it was Japanese. The job of the antenna was to register when it hit 600 meters and detonate. He kept saying how ironic it was that the Japanese created the antenna that allowed the bomb to explode over their city. After that we decided to get some food, walk around some shops, and then head back to Iwakuni.

No comments:

Post a Comment