Saturday, January 9, 2010

Necessity is the mother of invention or at least creativity

As you may or may not know our household goods have been misplaced as has our express shipment. This means that we have been without many of the things that we use daily. We do not want to re-purchase these items. This means that Izac and I have gotten very creative. We have been plagued by some serious static electricity and there are no humidifiers available. So you might ask what we have done. I remembered my parents putting loaf pans full of water on our heaters when we lived in Japan as kids and guess what? It still works. What else have we done you might ask? Well I was making mashed potatoes and realized I did not have a potato masher. I tried all the loaner spoons and spatulas and all of them were too flimsy to appropriately mash the potatoes. Did I give up? NO. I took a can of tomato sauce, wrapped it with foil and mashed away. In all the loaner things we received there are no bowls bigger than cereal bowl and no baking sheets/pans. We did end up purchasing the baking sheets. I do not like the mixing bowls that are offered here so to bake a cake I mixed the ingredients in the pot that we were provided with. It certainly is not a unitasker any longer. Another difficulty during the holiday season was dealing with a dearth of holiday wrapping, boxes, and bows. Did Izac and I give up? Nope. We used shopping bags, left over wrapping paper, and various boxes that had purposes prior to their use as gift wrap. For example a coke 12 pack box works very well for holding clothing and a reusable shopping bag for the commissary when tied is a nice gift bag. Until we get our things I do look forward to seeing the creativity Izac and I must use to live in our new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment